Monday, September 1, 2014

Starting an Organic Garden

In my research I have found so many different perspectives on how to create a garden that will grow food for you. They all include a plant, some where to grow the plant and a way to feed the plant. I have decided that the easiest way for me to accomplish this is not so easy. While it is true that if you put a seed into some dirt and give it some water it will grow it doesn't always mean that you will grow something edible!


The Vegetable Gardener's Bible is a book about gardening vegetables. It is a good place to start. I suggest following exactly the steps he suggests for almost certain success. It is not a good idea to deviate from the plan until you have tried something that is known to have worked for someone else. Another good book I borrowed from the library, that goes a little more in depth about gardening is called, 
Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times (Mother Earth News Wiser Living Series).

I like the explanations that Steve Solomon gives about how the garden works in,  
Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times (Mother Earth News Wiser Living Series), more than I like the general growing techniques that Ed Smith outlines in, The Vegetable Gardener's Bible. I often refer to the Ed Smith book because I bought it before I ever heard of Steve Solomon. I am going to add more of Steve's books to my collection in the future. He has a website where you can read some of his other books free online. Just google Steve Solomon and you'll find what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment