Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Done With Microgreens (For Now)

I learned that microgreens require more care than I care to give. Right now I am not prepared to do the necessary work required for success. They need to be monitored. They are very unforgiving. I am now in the process of building some cinder block raised bed gardens.

I have more block than I know what to do with so I am trying to spread it around some and organize it into raised beds. My whole property needs some organization and a whole lot of action. By the time I get all of my raised beds built the first ones should be generating income for me.

If I start with cuttings in each bed I will have a huge stock of rooted cuttings by spring. The climate here is fairly mild. It does get pretty hot quite often. It's Oct. 13th today and the temperature is in the nineties. There is not much rain so I must irrigate. My aim is to eliminate the need to irrigate or at least reduce it greatly. That is a future project that will come with improved soil and mature plants.

For now I am going to build some quick block beds and fill them with soil and compost. The first one is going to house some cuttings of the plants I have around here. I will use some plastic containers like used milk jugs for humidity domes.

I am going to have to make something bigger and more durable if I am going to grow anything substantial. The next bed I will load with Aloe Vera plants. Since they tend to multiply so easily I am going to work on a system of cycling through them. I have quite a few of these already. I need to get the rest of them processed, either potted up or put in the ground. That's why I am going to dedicate a whole bed to the Aloes.

Another easy to propagate plant is jade. I may dedicate a bed to them too. I may be able to sell fresh cuttings of the jade. It seems to grow that easy. I have to take a cut and leave it for a few days then plant it and see if it still takes. If I have a high success rate with the waiting method then I can start selling cuttings right away. For now, I need to work on my stock plants. I need to figure out what sells and how much I can make.

I also need to figure out what I am going to have to buy to be able to prepare my plants for sale. I may need soil, aeration, compost and I will need more plants and plastic or biodegradable pots. I have a few pots that I can scrounge up around the house here to get things started, but I will need to invest in more soon. There is a way to avoid pots if I sell rooted cuttings. I may need to use paper or something to ship them in but I could avoid pots! Time to get to some experimenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment