Friday, September 18, 2015

Working Out The Microgreen Kinks

Since I am starting my seed indoors in front of a window I think I will have success, starting seed. I think that after a few days the sprouts will benefit from more light. It is still getting up into the eighties and nineties here in eastern San Diego. That could benefit my sprouts and help them to grow quickly.

I am only on day three of my indoor experiment and having some thoughts of potential improvements before I even know if I will need to improve. I also am considering what will need to be done in December. I think that the indoor temps will stay warm enough to sprout but I am unsure how the seedlings will fare during the cold nights, outdoors.

One thought is to create some row covers. Another would be to use the mini greenhouse covers directly on the ground. I am liking the thought of that. It would be like growing in trays, size wise, and also like a square foot type of garden and just like a real earth planted garden. I have to think of some catchy name for it. The microgreenhouse method? Square foot microgreenhouse method? Whatever It is called I have to make sure I can get it to work first.

I have a library book about lasagna gardening for herbs. I think I will use the idea to start some plants to use as seed stock, and maybe a few beds of microgreenhouse size, for fun. I also need to make a plan to sell the produce. I need a steady customer base. Swapmeet is too general for selling microgreens. Farmer's markets are a little too much trouble with regulations. The same problem with chefs. I want to stay small enough to avoid government and get big enough to earn a living. I think I will need a few other income streams.

I am going to need some inputs if I am exporting from my land. I will deplete my resources if I am not replenishing with something else. I could set up some classes when I get a self sustaining system up and running. I need to stay focused on getting things done first then expand as I succeed. I need to have a plan too. I need to concentrate on a step, accomplish it and implement the next step. I am working on growing my microgreens without any terrible failures. Once I am regularly harvesting and eating my microgreens I can start planning on "growing" my efforts to include enough to give out some to friends and family.

That is my plan, step 1 is to get microgreens to produce enough for my household to have every day. Step 2 is to produce enough to give to my family and friends, one extra portion per day, so double up. If there are enough people who want more, if I am running out then I will consider stepping it up to a more commercial level. I am liking where this is going. I can already see a few obstacles coming up like how to package them. How to transport them. Should I cut them or should I use small amounts of soil in plastic containers and sell the as living plants to be cut when they are ready to be used, in customers' homes?

One more quick idea that just popped in my head. I could sell seed, planted seed, and sprouted seed, all the way from start to ready for harvest. Just an idea that needs some work and some time to see if it is even a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment