Tuesday, September 15, 2015

10 Days Into Microgreens

I didn't scrap the first set of microgreens because of the fungus that also sprouted. The spot filled in with sprouts and there is no sign of the fungus. It is full of radish sprouts. There are a few that are showing the first signs of true leaves and a blanket of cotyledon leaves. 

The basil sprouted and also is showing a blanket of cotyledons. The sunflower seeds are sprouting slowly, I saw 2 confirmed taproots. I need to add more pots of seed to continue gaining experience and to be able to enjoy the fruits of my labor on a more frequent basis.

The fungus that I spotted at first, I believe, was due mostly to the wet condition I used to sprout them. I am taking more care now to be certain that I am not over watering. I need to run more "tests" and see how things are going to progress.

Today we are expecting rain. That will be good for the whole garden all over the property and the area in general. Since I live on a hillside I am not sure how to keep my garden fed. Although it does not rain often here I suspect that the majority of the nutrients placed on or around my gardens are easily washed away due to rain and irrigation. I am planning on adding irrigation to the lower part of my property and seeing if that has a beneficial effect on my gardening endeavors.

One other problem I am facing is stink bug pests. I saw a few of them in the radish sprouts yesterday. I am using only organic methods to produce my food so sprays are out of the question. I am attempting to follow the practices of Massanobu Fukuoka. The pests I have are being allowed to proliferate because there is an imbalance somewhere in my garden. 

I notice that they like the same stuff I do. They do seem to leave my basil alone and my other herbs. They love all brassicas though and those are what I like too. Maybe, I can deter them by planting directly in the ground, using the earth as a pot, and planting my brassicas in between small plots of herbs.

I will implement this strategy soon. One major obstacle is seed supply. I have not saved enough seed to plant herbs daily the way that I want. As I am realizing this I need to plan for that. I need to plant more of the plants that I want to raise as microgreens and allow them to go to seed, or order large amounts of seed and start selling my microgreens. I want to be certain that I can produce large crops of microgreens, outside, in the ground, during all seasons.

With that in mind I guess I need to focus on growing what I have and producing seed to perpetuate my plants. I need to continue to track my activities and the conditions I am experiencing. I know that my success depends on my ability to adapt and know how to deal with repeating situations. I need to record what I do and what seems to work. Right now I know that when I plant something in the brassica family of plants, the stink bugs are going to eat them before me. Herbs seem to be left alone by pests. Fungi grow quickly in a dark, warm and moist environment.

I think that's enough for today. I need to go out and plant!

No comments:

Post a Comment