Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Going Indoors

Today I started an indoor experiment. I have an old hydroponic system with 10 four inch square pots. I am going to plant something new everyday. By something new I mean another pot. I put it in front of an east facing window. I am not employing the hydroponic aspect of the system. I can water when necessary. It is close to a water source and there are not as many bugs inside. I did bring in some soil from outside though.

Hopefully there will be no pest problems. I planted some broccoli today. Tomorrow it'll be radish again. I may have enough seed on my basil to do a pot of that and I also have some sunflower seed to sprout. I forgot about the pinto beans I bought from Sprouts grocery store, so I will add those into the rotation too.

If the microgreens are not ready in ten days then I am going to have to either put them under artificial light or get some more pots going. I haven't harvested any microgreens yet so I am still unsure what I am going to do with the soil that I harvest from. The outdoor radishes have been infested with stinkbugs so I will not be bringing that inside. Instead, I may begin a new earth bed as I mentioned yesterday. I could easily dump the used soil in a sunny location and plant a small batch of microgreens that I will cover with cardboard, or the pot that I had the soil in. That should give the seed enough darkness and keep enough moisture to sprout.

So, if the indoor 10 site system is not producing fast enough then I will need to have somewhere else to grow. Outside is the most economical, if I can keep pests away. I also have a large number of aloe plants that I am currently raising. There are a good number of what I believe are jade plants that I have been propagating. Gophers are good at taking down my aloe. If all goes well I should have enough mature aloe to sell and fund some more seed purchases.

My next task is to figure out how to sell plants. My only plan right now is to list them on craigslist. I have lots of them that need to be sold. I should be able to generate enough income to purchase a good amount of seed for microgreens. Once I have a steady supply of microgreens I am going to need to find a good way to sell them too. Succulents are easy to propagate. Microgreens are easy to sprout. I just need to find a good dependable system to keep me supplied and keep orders flowing in.

Another potential idea is to use youtube to advertise. I guess its a real idea not just potential. I just need to keep after it. I need to be serious. I need to stop thinking about ideas and start implementing those I already have thought about. In other words, I need to start acting on my ideas in a real, measurable way. I need to plan my work then work my plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment