Saturday, September 5, 2015

Microgreeens Experiment Begins

I took some old pots and dumped them in a bin. I added an equal amount of old soil, worm castings and rice hulls. I mixed it up well and used that to fill a new pot. I topped it off with about an inch of screened worm castings. I packed it down and spread a layer of radish seed on top and wet it down. Then I placed a piece of cardboard over the top and now I must wait and see what happens.

I have been having problems with stink bugs or harlequin bugs or whatever name they are called. They have decimated my kale and are working on my tomatoes. I am not sure what to do about that but I am not giving up yet. I have read about treatments and I know that there are poisons that will get rid of them but I want them to be controlled by the environment.

If they ruin these microgreens that I am planting over the next few days then I will have to try growing something different. I have read that they do not like herbs. I have basil that seems untouched. I will concentrate efforts on growing more strong odored herbs and plants to deter them and flowers to attract beneficial predator bugs.

I plan on keeping track of my findings here since it is convenient. I am sad that I haven't been able to produce my own food or even much produce at all in the past three years. I attribute it to laziness mostly but the pests add a layer of discouragement that is tough to beat. I refuse to give up hope and I know that I can succeed if I keep at it. Record keeping and organization are my weaknesses and this blog is a good tool to keep me doing both record keeping and organizing.

I want to provide healthy nourishment for my family and produce an income from the land I control. first is providing for my family. Once I create a balance of good insects to combat the "bad" ones and help my plants to thrive in this environment the money should flow in easily. It will just be a matter of what do people want to buy. That will be another balancing act too.

No comments:

Post a Comment